- Teaching in italian
- TRANSPORT PHENOMENA
- TRANSPORT PHENOMENA
- Subject area
- Reference degree course
- MATERIALS ENGINEERING AND NANOTECHNOLOGY
- Course type
- Master's Degree
- Teaching hours
- Frontal Hours: 0.0
- Academic year
- Year taught
- Course year
- PERCORSO COMUNE
- Reference professor for teaching
- ESPOSITO CORCIONE Carola
The course is focused on the study of the transport phenomena occurring in fluid/solid materials: mass, heat and momentum transfer. These phenomena greatly regulate and control all the processes (transformation, production, manufacture, etc.) involving materials in their whole life cycle. The course will illustrate the use of: balances (of mass, energy and momentum), both in microscopic and macroscopic scales and in laminar and turbulent flow; transport coefficients (friction, heat and mass) between different phases; empirical correlations for turbulent flow. Several case studies will be presented in the course, in order to illustrate the practical use of the mathematical equations introduced in the lessons.
Theoretical lessons :
- Moment Transfer
Constitutive Equation : Newton law. Non newtonian fluids flow. Moment balance. Distribution of velocity in the laminar flow and in the solids.
- Heat Transfer
Constitutive equation : Fourier law of conduction. Distribution of temperature in the laminar flow. Heat balance.
- Mass transfer
Constitutive equation : Fick’s law of diffusion. Distribution of concentration in the laminar flow and in the solids.
- Conservation equations for isothermal systems with one ore more components.
- Non steady state
Conservation equations for non steady state. Dimensionless number : Biot.
- Moment Transfer in laminar and turbolent flow.
Dimensional analysis of the conservation equations. Dimensionless groups : definitions and physical meant. Case study : flow past immersed sphere.
Distribution of velocity in turbulent flow. Mediated expressions for the moment conservation equations.
- Heat Transfer in laminar and turbolent flow.
Case studies : heat conduction in a cooling wing, natural heat convection.
Dimensional analysis of the conservation equations. Dimensionless groups : definitions and physical meant.
Distribution of temperature in turbulent flow. Mediated expressions for the heat conservation equations.
- Dimensional analysis technique.
- Transport coefficient for isothermal systems.
Coefficient for moment transfer : friction factor. Transport in pipes and past immersed objects. Correlations between dimensionless groups of the moment transport.
- Transport coefficient for non isothermal systems.
Heat transfer coefficient. Transport in pipes and past immersed objects. Dimensionless groups for natural and forced heat convection. Correlations between dimensionless groups of the heat transport.
- Transport coefficient for multi- components systems.
Mass transfer coefficient. Transport in pipes and past immersed objects. Dimensionless groups for natural and forced mass convection. Correlations between dimensionless groups of the mass transport.
- Macroscopic balances
- Macroscopic balances for isothermal and non isothermal systems with one ore more components. Mass macroscopic and moment balance. Macroscopic balance of energy and mechanic energy ( Bernoulli equation).
- Transport problems in steady and non steady state.
Solution of balance and transport equations for problems in steady and isothermal state with one or more components.
- Solution of the conservation equations for the non steady state.
- Solution of the transport problems for isothermal and non isothermal systems with one or more components.
- Solution of steady and non steady state problems, using macroscopic balance for Macroscopic balances
Second Semester (dal 01/03/2018 al 01/06/2018)
Type of assessment
Oral - Final grade