- DATABASE DESIGN
- Insegnamento in inglese
- DATABASE DESIGN
- Settore disciplinare
- Corso di studi di riferimento
- EUROPEAN HERITAGE, DIGITAL MEDIA AND THE INFORMATION SOCIETY
- Ripartizione oraria
- Ore Attività frontale: 42.0
- Anno accademico
- Anno di erogazione
- Anno di corso
- Docente responsabile dell'erogazione
- BOCHICCHIO Mario Alessandro
Course presentation and aim
The course aims at providing the students coming from the humanities with the basics of Database Design. A particular focus will be placed on theories and tools that have become fundamental in their primary field of interest.
The following topics will be taught:
- Database and relational databases;
- Database management systems;
- Relational Model and Relational Algebra;
- SQL: data definition and manipulation;
- Basics of Computer-Human Interaction: data-centric user interfaces;
- Architectural aspects: Desktop Applications, Web Applications and Apps;
- Principles of Data Analytics;
- Database applications for Humanities and Cultural Heritage.
All needed reference material is composed, organized and constantly updated by the teacher. It will be posted in the course moodle site.
“Fundamentals of Data Base Systems", 6th Edition, Elmasri & Navathe, Pearson International Edition
As a secondary reference, the following texts may be consulted:
- "Datawarehouse Design- Modern Principles and Methodologies", Matteo Golfarelli, Stefano Rizzi, McGrawHill
The student will be able to understand data model, to interact with existing databases and to collaborate with software engineers to design data-centric applications. Such skills will prove useful in other courses (ex. web technologies) to design online applications and online services for humanities.
Frontal lessons and lectures, for theoretical aspects, will be followed by participatory learning sessions and hands-on sessions to reinforce the comprehension and to acquire the abilities relevant to the field of database design.
Students will be asked to solve problems including theoretical and practical task, by means of a computer, within a given time.
Primo Semestre (dal 24/09/2018 al 25/01/2019)
Orale - Voto Finale