- Insegnamento in inglese
- Settore disciplinare
- Corso di studi di riferimento
- COMMUNICATION ENGINEERING AND ELECTRONIC TECHNOLOGIES
- Ripartizione oraria
- Ore Attività frontale: 81.0
- Anno accademico
- Anno di erogazione
- Anno di corso
- PERCORSO COMUNE
- Docente responsabile dell'erogazione
- CATARINUCCI Luca
Microwave course is aimed at providing both theoretical and practical knowledge on the main aspects of microwave engineering. It also serves as the necessary prerequisite for more advanced courses in communication engineering.
After the course the student should be able to
* Apply microwave analysis methods to determine the main properties of high-frequency circuits.
* Apply knowledge on transmission lines and waveguides particularly for their use as elements in impedance matching and filter circuits.
* Design an impedance matching network with either distributed or lumped elements through the Smith Chart.
* Evaluate both analytically and experimentally the scattering parameters of N-Port microwave devices
* Illustrate the main aspects of N-Port networks, microwave filters and resonant cavities
An oral exame is foreseen. It is aimed at verifying the knowledge and understanding of the course topics acquired by the student (maximum overall duration: 45 minutes).
Office Hours: By appointment; contact the professor by email or at the end of class meetings. Official office hours will be defined once the course agenda will be definited.
Introduction: the main differences between low-frequency and hi-frequency circuits (2 hours).
Transmission lines and waveguides: transmission lines theory. Smith chart. Line-Load matching through single and double stub techniques using the Smith chart. Quarter-wave matching. Properties of the most common transmission lines: coaxial cable, microstrip line, coplanar stripline. Properties of the most common waveguides: rectangular, circular, and "ridge" (20 hours). Solutions of assigned exercises and practical examples of use of the Smith Chart. (12 hours).
Microwave junctions. N-port junctions. Scattering matrix. 2-port, 3-port and 4-port cases. (8 hours)
Microwave devices: functional description of the main passive components used in microwave circuits. Attenuators. Circulators. Dividers and combiners (Resistive, T-junction, Wilkinson). Directional couplers theory. Two-hole couplers. Branch-Line. Rat-Race. Magic-T. (12 hours)
Resonant cavities: brief overview on resonant cavities. Rectangular and circular resonant cavities. Application as filters and frequency meters. (4 hours)
Microwave filters: general information on Microwave filters. Main design techniques for a microwave filter. (6 hours)
Passive RFID technology : overview on passive RFID technology. The conjugate matching techniques in the design of RFID tags. (4 hours)
CAD of microwve circuits (Laboratory Activity): Introduction to microwave CAD programs; analysis of microwave circuits. Examples of design of simple microwave circuits. (7 hours)
S-Parameter evaluation (Laboratory Activity): Vector Network Analizer description. Laboratory measurement of the scattering parameters of various microwave devices (rat race, wilkinson divider, etc.). (6 hours)
Secondo Semestre (dal 04/03/2019 al 04/06/2019)
Orale - Voto Finale